( Learn More )
Job Description Journeyman Ship fitter/ welder will perform all task required as it pertains to the modernization and repair of US Navy vessels. This position will support the BAE Systems Hawaii ship repair facility.Required Skills and Education Key Responsibilities & Functional Knowledge
This list is representative of the key areas of responsibility and functional knowledge required of a journeyman ship fitter/welder in the Structural shop. A journeyman ship fitter/ welder must demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the skills, functional knowledge and abilities required to perform tasks in these and related areas of responsibility.
Advanced knowledge means that the mechanic understands how to perform tasks in these categories (including, but not limited to, the specific tasks identified below) and is able to complete them independently and teach others how to complete the tasks. This also means that the mechanic has the necessary level of knowledge of the equipment, protective gear, and machinery required to complete these tasks. A journeyman ship fitter/ welder also is expected to strategize independently and problem-solve as appropriate.
Welding & Installation
Weld structural steel in all positions.
Have knowledge of FCAW and SMAW welding processes.
Weld stainless steel and carbon steel and possibly other alloys.
Must be able to read and interperate blue prints.
Layout, template and cut metal using work specs and blue prints as guidance.
Examine work pieces for defects and measure work pieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
Check measurements for accuracy using blue prints and work specs as guidance.
A journeyman ship fitter/ welder must demonstrate an advanced understanding of various structural welds and how to operate and maintain the machines that fabricate and repair metal structures, equipment and machinery. Must be proficient in obtained welding certification: Shielded Metal Arc Welding-plate (SMAW), Flux Core Arc Welding-plate (FCAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding-plate (GMAW), and any other certification. Must be proficient in blue print reading.
• Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions.
• Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form.
• Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals.
• Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure.
• Must be able to wear safety Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and use personal hand tools (adjustable wrenches, wire cutters, pliers, etc.)
Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
Education Minimum: High School Diploma/GED
Minimum Relevant Experience: 5 to 10 yrs.
Preferred Skills and Education Practical Theory Requirements
Apprentice Graduate preferred but not required.
Must work towards or be enrolled in on-going measures for certification: (Preferred)
• Certification in shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), also known as manual metal arc welding (MMA or MMAW), flux shielded arc welding or informally as stick welding (manual arc welding process that uses a consumable electrode covered with a flux to lay the weld)
• Certification in flux-cored arc welding (FCAW or FCA) (a semi-automatic or automatic arc welding process)
• Certification in gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) (arc welding process that uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to produce the weld)
• Certification in gas metal arc welding (GMAW) (a welding process in which an electric arc forms between a consumable wire electrode and the work piece metal(s), which heats the work piece metal(s), causing them to melt, and join)
• Certification in submerged arc welding (SAW) (a common arc welding process that requires a continuously fed consumable solid or tubular (metal cored) electrode)
• Other certifications for welding various materials to include: carbon steel, stainless steel, copper nickel, and aluminum
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
2018 True Careers Inc. All rights reserved |
Entry Level Jobs
Jobs in Canada
Jobs in UK
Free Career Test