AmeriGas Propane is the nation's largest propane distributor, serving over 2 million residential, commercial, industrial, agricultural and motor fuel propane customers in all 50 states. AmeriGas is listed on the New York stock exchange [NYSE: APU]. For more information visit our website at www.amerigas.com
Job Summary (Purpose):
The Field Safety Manager (FSM) partners with area employees, managers and the Area Director across all areas of safety in order to facilitate and improve the area’s ability to meet safety and compliance standards and promote the AmeriGas Safety Beliefs & Principles. The role of the Field Safety Manager is to co-own continuous safety improvement with the District Managers and Area Directors in order to reduce and prevent occupational injuries, vehicle incidents and liability claims.
The Field Safety Manager conducts audits, provides technical and professional training for employees, and works shoulder to shoulder with area and district employees to improve the quality and consistency of safety training, standards, communications and program implementation. The position reports directly to the Regional Safety Director (RSD) with a dotted line reporting relationship to the respective Area Director. Considerable travel required – 80% - 90%.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Partner with the Area Director across all aspects of safety – co-own Area safety performance
• Partner with site Safety Champions
• Visible in all districts in the area throughout the FY
• Provide company and industry safety training.
• Provide safety training and indoctrination of all new district managers and promotions within their respective area.
• Perform formal certification for employees in cylinder re-qualification & other company & industry training programs including, PHMSA / OPS – operator qualification training.
• Make use of lessons learned from incidents and audits. And, share them with the Region Safety Director and Area Safety Committees in order to develop Regional safety alerts for the purpose of reducing incidents and injuries.
• Perform safety audits at district facilities, offices, satellites, vehicles, dispensers, OPS sites and customer installations.
• Follow up on audit corrective action items to insure remedies are being completed within the established timeline.
• Perform incident response & investigation as required.
• Foster continual development of the Area Safety Committee. Advise and counsel as necessary. (Field Safety Managers should be discouraged from chairing the Area Safety Committee).
• Perform special projects as required by the Regional Safety Director, Area Director, or Corporate Safety Staff
• Other safety & training related duties as they arise (include employee training as necessary)
• Work with District Manager to Audit OPS sites and insure compliance with local, state, and, federal regulations.
• Assist with responses to OPS questions from Agencies.
• Assist District Managers with their responsibility to be in compliance with local, state, and federal codes and regulations and company policies and procedures.
• Proactively coaches associates in the various facets of safety performance and leads by example.
• Regularly reinforces safety messages by conducting behavioral safety observations, safety briefings and tailgate meetings, and facility safety walk-throughs to provide a strong visible presence in driving safety at the District level.
• Shepard and develop a Team of District Safety Champions within the Area.
• Actively participates on regularly scheduled conference calls or meetings with District Safety Champions to promote involvement, engagement, and consistency to help insure a safe work environment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Working knowledge of NFPA 54 & 58, or related codes
• Knowledge of propane, or related, systems including bulk plants, installations, regulators, piping systems, dispensers, vaporizers & compliance standards
• Aptitude for computer systems, including experience in Microsoft Windows applications.
• Aptitude and enthusiasm for teaching others and ability to speak on safety topics in a group setting.
• Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Ability to adapt to a changing environment and shifting priorities.
• Ability to influence others and take the necessary actions to achieve the desired results.
• Demonstrated ability to make good decisions and has sound judgment.
• Ability to obtain a CDL with HazMat Endorsement within one year of hire. (Those who are currently in an ASA position and are medically unable to fulfill this requirement will be grandfathered into the new FSM role). Exceptions must be approved by the OVP, Director of Safety, and, H.R. Manager.
Education and Experience Required:
• Propane, industrial gas, or related chemical industry work experience preferred
• Associates Degree in Safety or related discipline; or a minimum of 5 years of experience within the propane industry
• P.E.R.C. - Certified Employee Training Program
• Other industry or related training desirable.
AmeriGas is a Drug Free Workplace. Employment is contingent upon the completion and our evaluation of a drug screening test and a criminal background check in accordance with company policies and applicable laws and regulations. AmeriGas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.