HOURS OF WORK: Monday – Friday '1st Shift - Exact Hours to be Determined' (includes holidays)
Completes analyses on suspected fraud alerts and escalations on various Bank products. Takes appropriate actions to prevent and/or minimize losses against M&T Bank and its’ customers. Position may include working weekend, holiday and evening hours.
• Review established detection system-generated alerts to identify fraudulent activity related to merchant, check ACH (Automated Clearing House), wire, digital banking and account openings. Determine action required based on established procedures to protect the Bank’s assets; work with Supervisor on handling of more complex cases.
• Place appropriate hold on accounts and bank access devices deemed with fraudulent activity. Track and document action taken in a timely and correct manner to provide a record of activity and meet audit and compliance requirements.
• Investigate potential fraud by researching activity via Bank systems and vendor-purchased programs; contact other personnel within and outside the Bank to obtain supporting information. Escalate potential fraudulent schemes identified through the research process for the engagement of law enforcement personnel.
• Communicate, in a professional manner, with customers, merchants, financial institutions and other Bank personnel to resolve system problems or request additional information and/or documentation to support a decision on whether fraudulent activity has occurred.
• Assist in identifying and developing process enhancements to maximize efficiency of fraud detection activities as required.
• Remain current on national and world fraud trends to incorporate into daily activities as appropriate.
• Maintain accurate records containing known data triggers to support identification of fraudulent activity.
• Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
• Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
• Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
• Complete other related duties as assigned.
• The position works under general supervision and is responsible for identifying fraudulent activity and trends at an early stage to minimize Bank fraud-related losses and increase profitability and may include loss prevention for products and services offered Bank customers. As such, the position may require significant contact with customers, financial institutions and other Bank personnel through calling and verifying questioned transactions (alternative contact methods are used if telephone calls are not effective). If assigned to the weekend and/or night shift, the position must be able to work unsupervised.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• High school degree or equivalent in work experience
• Associates degree in Criminal Justice, related field or equivalent experience or in lieu of a degree a minimum of two years’ related professional work experience or equivalent
• Demonstrated analytical skills
• Proficiency with personal computers
• Basic knowledge of pertinent word processing, database and spreadsheet software
• Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all customers and pertinent internal contacts
• Ability to make decisions quickly and accurately and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Must be able to work holidays and be available for flexible work scheduling
IDEAL QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, related field or equivalent experience
• Minimum of one year’s proven customer service or investigative experience or equivalent
• Knowledge of Bank systems
At M&T, we strive to be the best place our employees ever work, the best bank our customers ever do business with and the best investment our shareholders ever make. So when looking to advance your career, look to M&T. As a top 20 US bank holding company and one of the best performing regional banks in the country, we offer a wide range of performance based career development opportunities for talented professionals. And through our longstanding tradition of careful, conservative and consistent management and a strong commitment to the communities we serve, we continue to grow with a focus on the future.