Mental Health Technician (MHT)- Substance Abuse
UHS - Harbor Point Behavioral Health Center
( Learn More )
4 Year Degree
Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) is one of the nation's largest and most respected health care management companies operating through its subsidiary acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities, and ambulatory centers nationwide. Founded in 1978, UHS subsidiaries now have more than 74,000 employees. The UHS business strategy is to build or purchase health care properties in rapidly growing markets and create a strong franchise based on exceptional service and effective cost control. Our success comes from a responsive management style and service philosophy based on integrity, competence and compassion.
Harbor Point Behavioral Health Center offers hope and healing for youth ages 7 to 18 at the time of admission with several psychiatric diagnoses and/or developmental disabilities. Located in Portsmouth, VA, Harbor Point provides intensive, residential treatment to youth in a comfortable setting that is conducive to healing. Our facility specializes in treating children and adolescents with depression, bipolar, ADHD, and other mental health issues. We also have specific treatment programs for those with intellectual disabilities or those with self-injurious behavior. Harbor Point and its programs are fully accredited by The Joint Commission and the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Educational Facilities. We are licensed by The Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services and the Virginia Department of Education. We are a TRICARE®-approved and certified facility.
We are currently hiring for a Mental Health Technician (MHT) - Substance Abuse for new Substance Abuse Treatment Program. Must have previous experience working with children and adolescents with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. CSAC certification is a plus.
Job Duties (not an inclusive list):
• Contributes to the effective implementation of individual treatment plans of residents through "line of sight" supervision, positive interaction and role modeling, appropriate scoring of observed behaviors, and appropriate consequences or limit setting based on behaviors and program definition.
• Maintains safety and security of the facility through close observation and monitoring of the residents, maintaining optimal physical proximity, remaining alert at all times, and using analytical forethought to anticipate potentially volatile or unsafe situations and proactively intervene.
• Promotes development of residents' daily living skills through appropriate assignment, instruction, and supervision of tasks.
• Stimulates residents' interest and cooperation in various individual and group activities and programs through positive interaction, instruction, supervision, feedback and encouragement.
• Completes accurate and timely documentation on resident's behavior as outlined by policy, reports observations to relevant staff and makes recommendations based on observations. Assists in preparation of other behavioral reports and daily activities log as required.
• Provides appropriate crisis intervention as necessary by anticipating and responding quickly to escalating behaviors, utilizing de-escalation techniques to diffuse the situation, correctly prioritizing safety concerns, following proper restraint technique guidelines, and displaying neutral emotions.
• Uses appropriate counseling skills by de-escalating aggression, using active listening skills, using appropriate tone and volume of voice, providing a high frequency and variety of positive reinforcements, maintaining appropriate boundaries, and promoting a positive peer culture.
• During school hours, the MHT is the paraprofessional who manages behaviors and assists the teacher in the classroom.
• Must be at least 21 years old.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and/or Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field. Coursework in Psychology and Child and Adolescent Development preferred
• Experience working with children and adolescents with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders.
• Previous experience working in a residential or psychiatric setting with children and adolescents preferred.
• CSAC preferred
• Requires ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
All applicants are subject to background check and drug screening
Harbor Point BHC offers a comprehensive benefits package, paid time off, Toll Reduction Assistance, and subsidized YMCA memberships for full-time employees
2017 True Careers Inc. All rights reserved |
Entry Level Jobs
Jobs in Canada
Jobs in UK
Free Career Test